starting pkgsrc services on 1.4

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Dec 29 12:39:24 PST 2005

:I'm trying out 1.4 RC1 right now.
:
:It seems that in order to use pkgsrc's rc.d scripts, I do not set
:<name>_enable as with the base system scripts, I just set <name>. Am I
:right?

    Yup.  It looks like the pkgsrc RC scripts use the base name rather
    then <name>_enable.

:Also, what is the recommended way to ensure that the pkgsrc rc.d
:scripts are run on start up? Right now, I have set PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES
:in my mk.conf, which copies pkgsrc's rc.d scripts to /etc/rc.d.
:Otherwise, they are not run. Is there a better way? (I think FreeBSD
:has recently made changes to the way rc.d scripts from ports are
:handled. Is this change applicable to DragonFly?)

    There is a chicken-and-egg problem here in that /usr itself is
    not mounted at the time the system RC is run.

    I think what we want to do is have an RC script in /etc/rc.d which
    chains to the other RC directories.  i.e. that runs its own rcorder that
    includes the additional rc.d directories, figures out what hasn't been
    run yet, and runs it.

    We aren't going to be able to do this for the release, but it would
    make a great post-release project.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>