Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle *groan*

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Thu Dec 1 21:29:05 PST 2005

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:

Emiel Kollof wrote:

That and 15 seconds seems a bit too long. Know of any hardware that
actually needs that long to settle in? (and don't you guys go dig up
the most antiquated SCSI peripherals that actually do need 15 seconds
;) ) If yes, I'll just shut up about this.

my cd writer does.  but i have the delay set to 3 secs, and it just
reports in later, no big deal.  so i'm basically for reducing this timeout.

cheers
  simon
Still needed for large arrays, when staggered spin-up is used to reduce
PS load.
Modern drives generally are designed to ramp-up more gently anyway,
so using it is not always required.

As an inveterate SCSI user, I would still vote for shortening the time
to *zero* anyway.
The diminishing universe of SCSI users may then rebuild if/as/when
needed with a longer period.

Optioning the SCSI device (HDD, anyway) to start at power-ON means it
will usually be
ready well before the MB BIOS and other devices have finished POST, so
it is seldom an issue
even with multiple hardware RAID.

YMMV,

Bill Hacker