starting pkgsrc services on 1.4

Cheese Lottery cheeselottery at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 12:09:15 PST 2005

I'm trying out 1.4 RC1 right now.

It seems that in order to use pkgsrc's rc.d scripts, I do not set
<name>_enable as with the base system scripts, I just set <name>. Am I
right?

Also, what is the recommended way to ensure that the pkgsrc rc.d
scripts are run on start up? Right now, I have set PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES
in my mk.conf, which copies pkgsrc's rc.d scripts to /etc/rc.d.
Otherwise, they are not run. Is there a better way? (I think FreeBSD
has recently made changes to the way rc.d scripts from ports are
handled. Is this change applicable to DragonFly?)

P.S. A nitpick about pkgsrc/mail/postfix. The included rc.d script
attempts to copy files from /etc to /var/spool/postfix/etc. This fails
because /var/spool/postfix/etc is not created when the package is
installed.