cvsup in 1.4?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Dec 29 12:09:15 PST 2005

:    Actually it has *always* been on the release CD.  I totally forgot
:    about it... it's because it doesn't work in pkgsrc yet and we switched
:    the nrelease build over to package source.  Joerg was supposed to get
:    that working but as he has not I will take a shot at it.
:

    Excuse me a moment while I go off into a corner and scream bloody
    murder at the authors of ezm3 (which cvsup needs to build).  There are,
    literally, HUNDREDS of os-dependant files, no worthwhile documentation,
    and no mechanisms that I can see to help port to a new OS or generate
    any of the required dependancies.  There are insane dependancies that go
    deep, deep into system internals.  If there is a poster boy on how NOT
    to write a language, ezm3 would be it :-(.

    I am just going to take the cvsup binary from FreeBSD-4 and make the
    nrelease build use it directly.  Fortunately we still ship with all the
    required compatibility libraries.  Then we will shift away from using
    cvsup for 1.5 and later.  I really love the cvsup program, but the
    language support is just too much of a headache.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>