Overall usability in 1.4?

joerg at britannica.bec.de joerg at britannica.bec.de
Wed Dec 7 09:49:39 PST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 05:04:37PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> I fooled around a bit with pkgsrc before wiping out DFly, but I need to make
> sure of a couple of things, to the degree possible.  Do we prefer xorg or
> XFree86 these days?  Does the installation run pretty cleanly?  I remember
> with the old dfports system I always had issues.

XFree86 is pretty dead. That should answer the question :-) For the
installation, check if the software you need is available as package --
ftp://packages.stura.uni-rostock.de

> Also, how can I check which ports are working well?  I need Firefox, which is
> pretty common, but sbcl Lisp might not be.

sbcl is currently marked as broken. If you are interested in it and
willing to test possible patches, it shouldn't be the big problem to get
it fixed. I hope they haven't repeated the Emacs mistakes.

Joerg