D-BUS, anyone?

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Dec 6 12:14:27 PST 2005

On 06.12.2005, at 19:58, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Well, the unplug/replug->panic issue with USB on FreeBSD is simply
    due to the device being reattached but not being reinitialized
properly,
    so the driver winds up getting really confused.  I fixed that in
DragonFly
    but I'm sure there are a ton of other potential panic situations
that
    we haven't covered.  Device Drivers just aren't written with the
concept
    of the hardware getting ripped out from under them in mind.
If somebody is eager enough, I'm sure that this is fixable.  Just all
drivers which could potentially be removed (usb, sata?, firewire) would
just have to have some kind of recovery/detach.  But that's really not
even secondary goal, and could need a proper design first.

cheers
  simon
PGP.sig