D-BUS, anyone?

Rob Andrews rob at choralone.org
Mon Dec 5 15:24:00 PST 2005

On 05-Dec-2005 17:53.08 (GMT), Ivan Voras wrote:
 > Something like that has been done, for example on FreeSBIE livecd of
 > FreeBSD (using devd(8) IIRC). But there's a major problem when devices
 > get disconnected (i.e.: the device gets pulled from under the mounted
 > filesystem). AFAIK, this problem was considered too complex to deal at
 > this time because it involved re-architecting portions of VFS. It would
 > be interesting to see if DFly can do it...

Hmmm. It's been a while since I've used FreeBSD but I gather it copes
with unmounting the device (save for a few complaints in the kernel
log). Were I at home at the moment, I'd check to see if DragonFly did
the same, but vague memories (it's not the sort of thing I often do)
suggest it copes similarly.

Of course, any operating system is going to have some trouble if the
underlying storage is whipped out and cache isn't written. It's
customary to unmount under BSD and Linux, whilst it's customary to
'stop' the device in Windows, so everything really deals with it in the
same way.

--
rob andrews                                            rob at xxxxxxxxxxxxx