Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle *groan*

Hiten Pandya hmp at backplane.com
Fri Dec 2 02:40:36 PST 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:Emiel Kollof wrote:
:> That and 15 seconds seems a bit too long. Know of any hardware that actually
:> needs that long to settle in? (and don't you guys go dig up the most
:> antiquated SCSI peripherals that actually do need 15 seconds ;) ) If yes,
:> I'll just shut up about this.
:
:my cd writer does.  but i have the delay set to 3 secs, and it just
:reports in later, no big deal.  so i'm basically for reducing this timeout.
:
:cheers
:   simon

    Its fine.  Go ahead and reduce it to 5 seconds.   I expect that 99.9%
    of boxes will work just fine at 5 seconds and it makes more sense to
    burden the remaining 0.1% of people then to burden 99.9% of the people.
						-Matt
What we really need is a loader option that would control the SCSI probe
delay.  If I recall correctly it is still a compile time option.  Another
thing that we can offer is a boot menu option that would cut shortcuts
exactly like these across various subsystems where applicable for people
who do not have "delicate" hardware.
Regards,

--
Hiten Pandya