dirent ABI and propolice bug fixes in HEAD, DragonFly_Preview tag updated

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Aug 28 11:13:17 PDT 2005

:
:Matthew Dillon wrote:
:
:>     Due to the ABI changes, people using Preview or HEAD are going to have
:>     to recompile everything... kernel, world, ports, etc.
:
:Just finished the world/kernel upgrade -- and all the ports I've tried
:(so far) seem to work just fine without rebuilding.
:
:So, what failure mode should I be looking for in ports which have not
:been rebuilt yet?

    Few programs need to actually scan directories, but the problem is
    that there are places in some of the programs and more especially in
    some of the shared libraries that do, and those places are going to be
    broken.  Also, as new libraries are built (as you add more ports and
    packages), you will wind up in a situation where some libraries will
    be using the old ABI and others will using the new one for dirent.
    This can result in weird, unexpected failures occuring.

    Because of this, it's really a good idea to recompile.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>