ifconfig(8) syntax intuitiveness

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Aug 24 08:54:10 PDT 2005

:Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
:~ > It's not that easy. This has nothing to do with the interface, but is a
:| restriction from the routing stack. Once that restriction goes away,
:| there's no reason why aliases wouldn't allow it too.
:
:That's true, this point isn't exactly an ifconfig issue. However, is
:there any objection against changing the behaviour of the routing stack
:to what NetBSD does in this specific case?

    No but we need to wait for Jeff to commit his parallel routing
    table improvements before we begin messing with the route table.
    It's very complex code.

    In the case of ifconfig aliases, I agree completely that we should
    allow netmask's other then 255.255.255.255.  I would also like to have
    that capability for e.g. parallel routing.  The route table was never
    designed for duplicate masks so it won't be a trivial matter.