Compatability with FreeBSD Ports [debian package tools]

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Thu Aug 18 06:39:02 PDT 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 01:07:24PM +0000, Charles Allen wrote:
> I must admit I'm a bit shocked at the "binary packages only" talk.

The point of this discussion is NOT binary-only. It is about defining
the requirements for a package management system. You can do normal
source builds, but it can mean
(a) to use a chroot/jail for build + maybe keeping the installed
software as package around.
(b) to use hacks like portupdate which potentially break parts of your
system any time you use them.
(c) to accept the partial removal of the dependency tree for updates.

Joerg