Compatability with FreeBSD Ports

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Aug 12 09:30:16 PDT 2005

:Does DragonflyBSD plan on keeping the ability to run application code on
:FreeBSD to be compiled on DragonflyBSD?
:
:I suspect that it would be a good idea, even though an improved package
:system may be adopted, to perhaps maintain the capability to use FreeBSD
:ports as well on DragonflyBSD. Also, I think it may be a good idea for
:  DragonflyBSD to maintain the capability to compile application source
:code written for FreeBSD as well, so applications ported to FreeBSD run
:also on DragonflyBSD. This is so that the large amount of programs
:ported to FreeBSD can also run on DragonflyBSD without having to be
:re-ported to DragonflyBSD.

    We are rapidly diverging from FreeBSD with regards to being able to
    compile the ports without modification, and have been for a while.
    So the answer is no... we are going to have to move to (almost
    certainly) pkgsrc and fix whatever issues we have with it.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>