which branch to use?

Gordon Bergling gbergling at 0xfce3.net
Wed Aug 10 03:25:12 PDT 2005

Dmitri Nikulin wrote:

Gordon Bergling wrote:

Thanks for the information. The rebuild of all sources should be the
problem. ;)
Why a problem?
Edit /etc/make.conf (copy /etc/defaults/make.conf there if it doesn't
exist), use -O -march=i686 -pipe for CFLAGS (anything more is really
dangerous).
With your source tree in /usr/src (update by running cvsup on
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/DragonFly-preview-supfile, or preferably a
local copy with a mirror instead of the main server), do the following:
cd /usr/src
make buildworld kernel
<reboot>
cd /usr/src
make installworld
mergemaster
This is the super-safe upgrade method. It assumes something between the
kernel and userland may have changed (true for the next -preview),
otherwise just 'make world kernel' is fine.
In small upgrades (i.e. nothing big changed, and you haven't deleted
/usr/obj), 'make quickworld quickkernel' is a lot less work.
Set KERNCONF=(config file of kern in /usr/sys/<arch>/conf) after copying
and configuring GENERIC.
How much BSD experience do you have? If you have come from FreeBSD all
of this should be pretty familiar.

I have a lot experience with the BSDs. What I actually mean was, that I
am missing pure cpu power and that I am haven't much
experience with pkgsrc. But I am currently reading most information I
found via google regarding the pkgsrc.

At the end it's all a matter of time... ;)

best regards,

       Gordon