HEADS UP: Custom config and HEAD

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Mon Aug 1 18:38:52 PDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 06:11:59PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :
> :Hi all,
> :I want to warn you that I'll soon commit the stat(2) changes and if you
> :have a custom kernel config, you really want to have COMPAT_DF12,
> :otherwise the kernel won't even make it through a reboot.
> :
> :Joerg
>
>     Hmm.  This makes me a bit uncomfortable.  I'm worried that we are
>     going to get a ton of bug reports from people who get caught out in
>     the code, despite the warning.  Maybe we should invert the sense of
>     the option.  e.g. NO_COMPAT_DF12.

I've been thinking about making it non-optional for while, but that
wouldn't fix the problem. I also don't like negative options, since they
tend to obscure code. This instance is different from COMPAT_43, since I
intend to keep it really optional, e.g. if you have a clean world, you
don't need it.

Joerg