SMP CPU Statistics

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Apr 30 15:52:19 PDT 2005

:Thomas E. Spanjaard wrote:
:> Hiten Pandya wrote:
:>
:>>     In a day I will commit a program
:>>     called cpustat(8) which will be able to display CPU load statistics
:>>     for each CPU, just the way top(1) does.
:>
:>
:> Why not call it *top, like mtop or ctop? That gives it more relevance to
:> it's logical ancestor.
:
:	Because that will only be one of the functions of cpustat(8).  Also,
:	I am not really keen on the name 'top'.  Infact, after an e-mail from
:	Miguel, I am more interested in calling it mpstat(8) :-)
:
:			-Hiten

    cpustat as in systat, vmstat, etc....  cpustat is the best name for
    this, especially if we start incorporating feature such as
    tracking cpu statistics with the cpu performance registers.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>