Newbie on this list - with a first question :)

Ochronus ochronus at all.hu
Thu Apr 28 22:55:54 PDT 2005

Atte Peltomaki wrote:

1, Is this the right place to ask this type of question? If not, please

Your first question being a question about a question you're asking,
it's a bit odd, yes :o)

:D Ok, I'll give you this one :))

I haven't personally tried pkgsrc on dfly yet, but from what I've heard,
they're as much trouble as the dfly/fbsd ports are. I recently
uninstalled all ports and now I'm only using binaries, and I must say
I've been much better off. pkg_add -r package, and everything works.

Well, this is exactly what I did after all... Packages are a bit old,
but at least
stable. And silently, with the firm background of online binaries I can
recompile
newer versions one by one. So now I have XFree86 4.4.0 (from binaries),
XFce4 4.2.1
(recompiled),  mplayer and xmms recompiled, mozilla from binary... works
like a dream.
Mozilla here was a real surprise for me - I have been using it on linux
(2.4 and 2.6 kernels),
FreeBSD 4.9, 5.3 and -CURRENT, and I can tell you, it loads up much
quicker in Dragonfly!
Actually the whole system is more responsive than any I've seen before,
I'm amazed :)

Regards,
Ochronus