Weird problem with sk on ASUS A8V

justin at shiningsilence.com justin at shiningsilence.com
Mon Apr 25 05:45:01 PDT 2005

> 	This is very odd, the onboard LAN on my ASUS A8V has been working
> fine up until this weekend, but now it reports a "NO PHY" error on
> bootup in DragonFly. At first I thought it was down to upgrading to
> Preview recently but I get the same error booting from the 1.1-Stable
> CD I originally installed from and from the FreeBSD 5.3-Stable install
> on the same box. Also I have used the LAN since I last updated the
> system.
>
> 	OK so far it sounds like a broken ethernet adaptor, the kicker
> is that it works perfectly when I boot a Knoppix CD with a Linux 2.4
> kernel on it.

Are there any other newer devices (i.e. recently added) on the system?
Any changes in what is enabled by the BIOS?

My theory here is that there's something else in the system that gets
activated by BSD which causes some sort of conflict with the LAN adapter,
but that special something doesn't get activated by the Knoppix CD.