compiling modules

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Apr 20 10:28:21 PDT 2005

:
:I'm fairly new to *BSD, and have one of those newbie questions because I
:can't seem to find the answer elsewhere. I am trying to compile if_de as a
:module instead of into the kernel. I did the upgrade routine, and if_nv gets
:installed as a module, but if_de does not. The only difference that I've
:noticed between the two is that /usr/src/sys/dev/netif/nv has a makefile and
:/usr/src/sys/dev/netif/de doesn't. Is the makefile the reason for this? I
:checked a few files under the /usr/src/sys/* directories, made some changes
:to them and recompiled a few times to no avail.
:
:I am using 1.2-RELEASE.
:
:Thanks,
:Kevin

    Quite a good number of the drivers are not compiled as modules.  This
    is a state of affairs we inherited from the original FreeBSD code.  Some
    were set up as modules, some weren't.

    It should be easy to convert said drivers into modules, in which case
    you would have to look at a modularized driver like nv verses de to
    figure out how to do it.   I would not expect it would require much
    coding... mainly just hooking the driver up to the module interfacing
    declarations and writing a Makefile.

    If you would like to give it a shot Joerg or I can help with any
    final cleanups if you get stuck.  Once you've got a working Makefile
    and in-code support it can be hooked into the build simply by hooking
    it into the parent directory's Makefile.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>