New Release

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 19 07:40:48 PDT 2005

--- Kris Kennaway <kkenn at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 2005-04-17, Danial Thom
> <danial_thom at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >> What is 'clunky' about it?  Some third-party
> >> ports do not compile on
> >> 64-bit architectures, but that's not the
> fault
> >> of the OS.
> >>
> >> Kris
> >>

> > The kernel itself is clunky. Networking (ie
> > routing, bridging, etc) is severely degraded
> with
> > an amd64 kernel.
>
> It would be great if you could send an actual
> bug report (i.e. with
> details instead of emotional terms like
> 'clunky') to an appropriate
> freebsd mailing list.

I read some threads on the subject and it seems
that anyone who says anything negative
performance-wise is first told how great the
latest release is and that he should upgrade, and
then 20 guys will try to explain away his
findings with some other minutia that has nothing
to do with the problem. My personal opinion is
that Freebsd 5.x is an abortion, and I don't know
how to file a problem report that says that the
OS design sucks in general. So I thought I'd just
try something else.

Danial