error building world for Stable

Max Okumoto okumoto at ucsd.edu
Sun Apr 10 22:32:33 PDT 2005

Jiawei Ye wrote:
Hi,

Actually I haven't been able to buildworld for quite a while. Since 1.2 is
released, I figured it would be nice to upgrade. So I cvsupped and tried
again, and hit the same wall:

cc -O -pipe -march=k6-2 -I/usr/src/usr.bin/make -DMAKE_VERSION=\"5200408120\"
 -DDEFSHELL=1   -Wunknown-pragmas -Wsystem-headers -Wall -W -Wstrict-prototypes
 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-arith -Wreturn-type -Wcast-qual -Wwrite-strings
 -Wswitch -Wshadow -Wcast-align -Wchar-subscripts -Winline -Wnested-externs
-Wredundant-decls   -static -o make arch.o buf.o compat.o cond.o dir.o for.o
hash.o job.o lst.o main.o make.o parse.o str.o suff.o targ.o util.o var.o
var_modify.o
job.o(.text+0x2712): In function `Job_Init':
: warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
arch.o(.text+0x983): In function `ArchArchiveNext':
: undefined reference to `strtoumax'
*** Error code 1

Am I missing something here?

Jiawei Ye

The problem is that your libc does not contain that function.
It was added March 17.  And the change that I made to arch.c
assumed that strtoumax() is in libc.
Go into /usr/src/usr.bin/make and edit arch.c, and change
strtoumax() to strtoull().  After a build world, installworld
libc will contain the proper function.  And you can undo the
change, or just run cvsup again.
If you have problems doing this send me mail and I will try
and provide more detailed instructions.
				Max