theoretical question about disks and os

Raphael Marmier raphael at marmier.net
Sat Apr 2 01:22:26 PST 2005

Thanks, that clarified things for me.

In fact I had 2 drives failing me nearly the same way, and both where
IBM Deskstar for 2000 and 2001. I thought about heat at the time, but
was not so sure anymore as they wheren't running so hot. Very sensitive
to heat they must be.

Raphael

Raphael Marmier wrote:
Is it possible for a poorly written disk driver/filesystem to trash
blocks on a hard disk? By trashing I mean that subsequent access result
in an i/o error, aven accross reboot.

I have such a disk where it happened a few years ago. Curiously, the
damaged blocks where the first blocks of partitions that where mounted.
The maker's test software says the drive's ok, as well as s.m.a.r.t.,
although it needed a "reformat" with the same tool to get rid of the bad
blocks.

I would think it must be some kind of hardware failure, but a recent
discussion about linux filesystems makes me wonder... linux was running
on that disk, after all, with reaiserfs. And it was 3 years ago.

Raphael