dfports/www/firefox doesn't build :(

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Fri Apr 1 02:50:12 PST 2005

Raphael Marmier wrote:

Bill Hacker wrote:

Looks like a nameserver issue, not a Firefox issue.
looks like you are right. After experimenting a bit, it looks like there
is a timeout at work somewhere:

If I try to connect to a non previously resolved name, after some quite
long time, it works.
Do you get a high packet-loss if you ping an upstream?

We get both packet loss and heavy breathing
on the home cable modem when our neighbors
return from work and switch on their TV's to
'adult' channels.
Never been into 'spectator sports' meself.... ;-)

looking into /etc/rc.conf, /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts:

-are you on DHCP?
-If not, what 'defaultrouter' setting?
-and what is in /etc/resolv.conf?
Then also:

-are you behind a firewall?
-are you setting the browser to use a proxy?
-and what about NAT, routed, named?
The Netopia ADSL gateway has an integrated hub to which all machines are
connected. DHCP is in use and the gateway act as a dnscache.
Doesn't 'cache' nada until it has had one or more requests
 and seems to be getting the answers way too slowly.
in rc.conf:
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
in resolv.conf:
nameserver 192.168.1.1
Try that with no other entry but 'search'

Then find the IP of your closest upstream DNS resolver(s),
and try it with one or both of those specified instead of
search or the local router.
If still 'no joy' find another DNS that is better maintained
and list that at the top of the list.
what I find strange is that nslookup/dig works fine.

Raphael
These use different resources - higher up in the 'food chain'.

Bill