UNIX Newbie seeking help

Andrew user at home.com
Sun Oct 10 14:19:52 PDT 2004

Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
Andrew wrote:

Hello,

I'm fairly new to the *nix world but would like to try my hand at
setting up a stand alone unix box with KDE desktop support. I would
also like to take a stab at programming and have been searching for
languages to learn. I was hoping to find something extremely powerful
but easy to learn and have ran into Walter Bright's D Programming
Language (http://www.digitalmars.com/d/) and its GCC port
(http://home.earthlink.net/~dvdfrdmn/d/). Seems to be able to do the
trick.

What does all this have to do with you? Well, I was hoping someone
would point me in the right direction of how to setup DFBSD so that I
can connect to the internet, and download the KDE desktop and how to
the GCC version of D. Additionally, I was hoping for some guidance of
the best way to set up my box I can experience the power of unix with
a GUI safety net just in case I loose my way.

Thanks for your understanding and support.
Andrew

I see that you are in the seek of the ultimate handbook!
Luckily DragonFly can provide one :-)
http://www.forknibbler.com/handbook/
Have Fun!

I certainly shall. Thank you very much.