weird link problem with the postfix install?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Oct 22 16:50:57 PDT 2004

:That was quick!
:
:Glad it wasn't me doing something wrong and getting the 'HEAD' stuff by
:accident :) I'll head off and try finish setting this box up. Can't
:actually think of much else I need to do, but I know if I go ahead and
:swap them now it'll blow up in my face :)
:
:Worst case.. If I manage it and it's panicing with DF too, will any back
:trace stuff I might be able to get be of any use to anyone? I know you
:(Matt) is busy doing all sorts of funky stuff so I don't expect you to
:be able to look into it that much. I found the unstripped debug kernel
:and I am running that and I have setup the whole dump thing. Do I need
:to do anything else?
:
:Cheers!

    It depends on the bug.  Sometimes the panic message is enough but usually
    a ddb> trace is extremely useful, and if that isn't enough then a kernel
    core is even more useful.

    Kernel configs which use the DEBUG makeoption, which is GENERIC and
    thus most people's kernel configs unless they removed the line explicitly,
    will install a debug kernel by default now in HEAD and soon Stable as
    well, so you will soon not have to worry about that part of it.

    The only thing left is getting a crash dump on reboot, which requires
    setting the dumpdev properly in your rc.conf and for /var/crash to have
    enough disk space to hold the kernel.  If it doesn't, you can make
    /var/crash a softlink to a partition that does have enough space and you
    are set.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>