Mouse problems

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Oct 20 16:41:30 PDT 2004

:
:"Matthew Dillon" <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:>     /dev/sysmouse is used by moused.  If you are not running moused then
:>     /dev/sysmouse will not do anything.
:>
:>     I recommend simply configuring X to use /dev/psm0 directly (which is
:>     the PS/2 mouse device).  Then it should work.
:I did that, also with several mouse protocols.. Still no luck. Oh and moused
:is running..

    You can't run moused *and* have X try to access the mouse directly.

    There are a couple of things you can try.  First, don't unplug the mouse.

    (1) reboot, do *NOT* start X, run moused manually and then run
        'vidcontrol -m on' and see if the mouse works on the console screen.

    (2) reboot, do *NOT* start moused, then start X using /dev/psm0 directly.

    An 'ls -la /dev/psm0' should yield device (21,1), make sure it does.

    Also your dmesg should contain psm0 lines, grep for it.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>