Looking at giving DF a go... advice?

Mark Cullen mark.cullen at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Oct 9 11:18:20 PDT 2004

"Emiel Kollof" <coolvibe at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:200410091935.15284.coolvibe at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Saturday 09 October 2004 15:02, Mark Cullen wrote:
>
> > I guess what I am really asking is, is the massive instability stuff
fixed
> > up now? If I update to CURRENT am I likely to get a system that is
stable
> > for atleast 3 days usage? I'll need to update to CURRENT in order to get
> > ndis support I think, it didn't seem to be included in the 13th
September
> > release. Another thing I have heard is the whole lots of ports broken
> > thing. I have quite alot of ports installed.. kde.. gnome... java etc
etc
> > etc... enough to be a rather nice general purpose desktop/light
programmers
> > system. Am I likely going to be able to achieve this with DF in it's
> > current state? Is there anything that's going to catch me out or is it
all
> > still very much like using FreeBSD?
>
> Matt is doing very intrusive VFS work at the moment, so wait with catching
up
> to HEAD until he says so. Regarding all your other concerns: DragonFlyBSD
> userland is still very very much like FreeBSD4. Regarding ports, well
yeah,
> some are broken, but we have the dfports that provide overrides for the
most
> used software.
>
> I'm using DragonFly as a workstation too, and I'm not missing out on
> anything :)
>
> Cheers,
> Emiel
> --
> "If we were meant to fly, we wouldn't keep losing our luggage."

First off.. forgive me if I am replying wrong :-) This is my first time
using a news group thing and it's outlook express, so i'm sorry if there's
some wrapping issues.

If ndis is in stable that should be enough for me. I'll boot the live CD
again later tonight and check my sound works (forgot to do that) and see if
I can close and open the laptop display without it hanging (couldn't close
the lid in FreeBSD 4.x if I remember rightly.. I could just be imagining
things though!) Thank you both for pointing me in the right direction
regarding CURRENT/STABLE :-)

So, most of the ports will work and I just get the FreeBSD ports tree? But
for those that don't I can just use packages for FreeBSD 4.x (I assume 5.x
packages won't work) and they'll work fine? I think I could live with that
:-) I don't suppose you could point me at what this dfports thing is? I read
something about it on this list I think. Do I need to do a cvsup somewhere
else to get that?

How is it working for you as a workstation? My main problem with FreeBSD is
my mouse jerks with hard disk activity. Sound goes a bit weird with 100% CPU
activity here and there but I haven't noticed the mouse jerking about under
those conditions. I think it'll probably be much the same between the two at
the moment won't it? Is the VFS stuff you're currently hacking away at the
thing that may improve the hard disk situation?

Thanks :-)