ACPI hangs shortly after boot

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Mon Nov 22 20:16:55 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 04:17:32AM +0100, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23. November 2004 03:31, Michael Neumann wrote:
> > When I build the kernel with
> >
> >    options acpica5

Ah, one more victim of config(8) magic... I think he actually meant
'device acpica5' but it doesn't work as he expected anyway, because config(8)
treats it as "device acpica with unit number 5", which is not what he wants.
He had to write it as `device "acpica5"', but it never works, because I was
too lazy to add the needed list in /sys/conf/files and /sys/conf/files.${ARCH}.

> why do you build acpi into the kernel? the kernel autoloads the acpi module
> anyways...

Maybe some people want NO_MODULES=yes to build the kernel, or something went
wrong on original poster's machine and he tried to build it into the kernel
to see if it helps. There are three options(but I'd like option A):

A. rip out /acpica/ lines from /sys/conf/files* and LINT completely.
B. change the meaning of `device acpica' to use acpica5 code rather than
   older code.
C. just add lines to /sys/conf/files* for acpica5 and leave lines for
   older code unchanged.