cvsweb and checkout

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Fri Nov 5 00:50:04 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 11:21:35PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>    It shouldn't need write access to the repository.  Make sure your
>    /usr/local/etc/cvsweb.conf file properly adds the -R to cvs_options.
>
>    This will work if your system is running a BSD (e.g. DragonFly, FreeBSD,
>    NetBSD, OpenBSD).  If it is running something else, linux Solaris or
>    Linux, the cvs you have installed might not have the -R option available.
>
>					-Matt
>					Matthew Dillon
>					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

># Options to pass to cvs(1).
># For cvs versions prior to 1.11, the '-l' option doesn't work; If you want
># working checkouts with an older cvs version, you'll have to make sure that
># the cvsweb user can read and write to CVSROOT/history.
>@cvs_options = qw(-nf);
>
>push @cvs_options, '-R' if ($uname eq 'FreeBSD' || $uname eq 'DragonFly' || $uname eq 'OpenBSD');
>push @cvs_options, '-u' if ($uname eq 'NetBSD');
>
>#      Only FreeBSD's and OpenBSD's cvs(1) supports -R (read only access
>#      mode) option, which considerably speeds up checkouts over NFS.
>#      A similar effect is provided by -u on NetBSD.

indeed, I'm running it on 1.12.9/linux which almost supports it when I
added the flag:

Error: Unexpected output from cvs co: cvs: WARNING: Read-only repository access mode selected via `cvs -R'. Using this option to access a repository which some users write to may cause intermittent sandbox corruption. cvs [checkout aborted]: Absolute module reference invalid: `/galis-org/docs/scripts/sync2live.sh'

fortunatly I don't need to checkout via the web as I migrate to bsd...

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at xxxxxxxxx