Linux Emulation Status

John Duncan agley at optusnet.com.au
Wed Nov 10 16:24:46 PST 2004

Dear List,
           Following these instructions but on DragonFly Stable

http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/poplog/freebsd/poplog-on-freebsd.txt

           I get core dumps from the kernel whenever the Poplog build
           scripts call /bin/ls and /bin/cp under the /compat/linux
           chroot. They are being caused by bad system calls as far as I
           can tell probably from the translation to Linux system calls
           going astray. Other calls to programs in the same directory
           complete without a problem.

           I was wondering how far along Linux emulation is in
           Dragonfly, is it like FreeBSD 4.8 or has it been brought
           forward? Just want to know if there might be a problem with
           my installation or if this is to be expected at the moment.

           The Virtual Machine does build despite this if I don't try to
           link it with Linux OpenMotif. I have given it a stress test
           with a artificial intelligence program with complicated
           graphics and asynchronous event handling and it works.

                                      All the best,
                                        John Duncan