Estimated release time of version 1.1?

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Wed Dec 8 13:03:57 PST 2004

Weapon of Mass Deduction wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am constantly following the DragonFlyBSD developments, and eagre to
install the OS on my workstation. I prefer to use a (recent) RELEASE,
instead of updating 1.0 to STABLE.
Of course, I understand exact dates will not be given, but isn't it
possible to estimate when the 1.1-release will be due?
Thanks in advance!

P.S.:
Of course I will try to help where I can, like donating money and
cleaning up code. :)

Of all possible reactions, the last I'd expect is silence. :D

So, anyone has a clue?

Indeed, ``when it's ready'' is a good response. I'd imagine that Matt
will have to finish his VFS work (at which point the games are going to
begin porting all sorts of neat filesystems over to DragonFly, including
my intention to port 9P2000). What can you do to help?

Well I think that donating money is less useful for some of us, and more
useful for others. I know there are several college students among us
who could use a few bucks (euros) to help fund their work, and others
who would do better with other stuff.

I'd personally do better with donated hardware: I'm currently trying to
round up a couple (2 or maybe 3) gigabit ethernet machines and some hard
drives. So if you want to help out there, that'd certainly be muchly
appreciated. What would I do with that? Network performance testing,
profiling, and development (GigE machines) and storage for the many
projects that we're (Simon, Sascha and I, since we seem to do stuff
together) working on at the moment, in particular the CVS cross
reference stuff.

If that doesn't look like much fun (parting with money / hardware never
is, I know ;)): With regard to cleaning up code, there's a good article
on that on the DFWiki:
http://www.sitetronics.com/dfwiki/index.php/Cleanup_Base

I'm sorry that I didn't catch this the last time, and I know those who
are ``in the know'' with these things are usually too busy to respond.
Hope this response is of some use. I'll keep an eye out for other
questions if you've got them :).

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell