Can't get CDROM to boot, even with SmartBoot

Zera William Holladay zholla1 at uic.edu
Thu Dec 23 09:20:21 PST 2004

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 10:11:03AM -0500, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
> : >
> : > I don't know what the deal is with this drive.  The FreeBSD CDROM booted
> : > fine.  But the DFly installation ISO does not.  I loaded SmartBoot from
> : > floppy, but it wouldn't recognize the drive, even when I manually entered
> : > (what I thought were) the port settings.
> :
> : Juuuust in case: make sure the CD can be mounted - if you have a Linux or
> : BSD machine handy, mount the CD and make sure it's readable, and not a
> : skinny frisbee.  If the DragonFly CD is not the same brand/type of CD as
> : the FreeBSD CD, try matching it.
>
> I used the same CD to install on my laptop.  While the FreeBSD CD's have
> always worked on both machines, the DFly CD has never worked on the desktop
> machine, even when it works on the laptop.

Do you mean that you have successfully 1. installed or 2. booted or 3.
mounted DFBSD on your laptop but not on your desktop?  It sounds like
either your DFBSD CD is defective or your CDROM is defective.  Try burning
another copy of the DFBSD CD on a very standard CD, nothing too cheap.
If all else fails, you can install FreeBSD and then install the DFBSD
kernel after CVSing the source (the instructions are on the web page and
they are very easy to follow).

Good luck.

-Zera Holladay