[DragonFlyBSD - Submit #3041] firmware: Remove embedding of multiple images in one module.

bugtracker-admin at leaf.dragonflybsd.org bugtracker-admin at leaf.dragonflybsd.org
Wed Jun 19 06:35:16 PDT 2019

Issue #3041 has been updated by liweitianux.

Category set to Kernel

>From zrj:
(1) Having support for multiple embedded firmware images in one module is useful, and I doubt we would want to move firmware handling to userland.
(2) Having firmware as kernel module allows to load it in "/boot/loader.conf" before kernel boots for early modules, like radeon(4) or network card drivers.

Submit #3041: firmware: Remove embedding of multiple images in one module.
http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/3041#change-13718

* Author: sucanjan at fit.cvut.cz
* Assignee:
* Category: Kernel
* Target version:
Hello,

this patch removes possibility of embedding more than one firmware image in one kernel module through the parent reference in the firmware_register() function.

This patch is a preparation for firmware subsystem modification for moving firmware images from kernel modules to userland.

The mechanism is not used and it can be functionally fully replaced by putting each firmware image in its own module.

Removing the functionality significantly simplifies handling of firmware images. If firmware images are moved to userland the logical grouping of modules could be expressed by putting the related firmware images into one directory if needed.

jan

fw-remove-parent.patch (13.3 KB)

To change your notification preferences, please click here: http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/my/account