[DragonFlyBSD - Submit #2798] (In Progress) mkinitrd insufficient default size, triggerred by installer

bugtracker-admin at leaf.dragonflybsd.org bugtracker-admin at leaf.dragonflybsd.org
Tue Mar 3 12:29:26 PST 2015

Issue #2798 has been updated by swildner.

Status changed from New to In Progress
Priority changed from Low to Normal

I investigated a bit and it turned out to be as follows:

Hard links on cd9660 all have different inode numbers, even though the hard link count is correct (this can be checked by ls -li in /usr/share/initrd of a live CD). Due to the inodes, copying them off the CD will create individual files. This is what caused our initrd to overflow when the installer tried to create it (shown in the /tmp/install.log, as you pointed out). This is also the reason why you saw the /usr/share/initrd directory taking the same 227MB in the installed system.

I pushed some fixes for this, which I'll MFC to the 4.0 branch too, and we'll roll 4.0.4 probably very soon.

Regarding the system you installed, if you rebuild/install your world in it and do another 'make rescue' then, the initrd should be back to being complete.

Regarding vi(1) and undo(1): I see them both in a non-broken initrd. I guess they are just missing in yours because the initrd is broken. Or I misunderstood you.

Submit #2798: mkinitrd insufficient default size, triggerred by installer
http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/2798#change-12615