patch: fix apache-ant in linux emulation

Johannes Hofmann johannes.hofmann at gmx.de
Sat Apr 10 15:47:40 PDT 2010

Jonas Trollvik <jontro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM, Johannes Hofmann
> <johannes.hofmann at gmx.de> wrote:
>> However it would probabely better - though more invasive to add
>> O_DIRECTORY to native open(2) and simply pass the flag.
>
> As far as I can tell only opendir should be using the O_DIRECTORY flag in open.
>
> From the man page: "If pathname is not a directory, cause the open to
> fail. This flag is Linux-specific,
> and was added in kernel version 2.1.126, to avoid denial-of-service
> problems if opendir(3) is called on
> a FIFO or tape device, but should not be used outside of the
> implementation of opendir."
>
> Does this race exist in BSD opendir?
>
> If ant is using this, is it through opendir?
>
> Only reason I can see to introduce this in the base is if this problem
> also exists on dragonflybsd.

I have to admit that I don't fully understand the details of the race
in opendir that is supposed to be fixed by using O_DIRECTORY, however
the flag seems to be in some standard:
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/basedefs/fcntl.h.html#tag_13_10
and FreeBSD also introduced the flag recently.

Regards,
Johannes