Clean up bind commit to master, revert to vendor

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Wed Nov 25 07:32:52 PST 2009

Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> [X-Post to kernel@ for discussion]
>
> Jan Lentfer wrote:
>> there was some discussion on irc about where README.DRAGONFLY and
>> README.DELETED had to go.
>>
>> I have left it the way I did it of vendor/LESS and as it was sugested
>> on irc (README.DRAGONFLY on master, README.DELETED on vendor).
>>
>> But generally this should be clarified and the consensus should make
>> it's way into development(7).
>
> Yes, we should decide.  But both should be on the same branch, for
> coherency.

Agreed.

> Reasons for master:
> - those files don't belong to the tar ball

I think conceptually README.DELETED should be on the vendor branch --
after all we don't commit the tarball as is. We delete files first and
README.DELETED lists those deletions.

> Reasons for vendor branch:
> - the READMEs describe the files (and what was removed) of the tar ball

- Having README.DELETED on the vendor branch should make for a better
workflow:

http://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/dragonfly.git/commitdiff/e449f42a7c170b52bb09c6300ba5b6bfdc5a9a01

(Peter, any further input on this?)

> I don't mind either, just coherency.  I propose to decide on what goes
> where first, and after that do the import.  Or at least pack both files
> into the same branch.

Yah, it's no big deal but we should reach a conclusion and document the
procedure in development(7) ASAP, holding back Jan's changes because of
this is probably a bit frustrating for him.

FWIW, for the reasons above, I'd prefer keeping the READMEs on the
vendor branch.

Aggelos