new lwbuf api and mpsafe sf_bufs

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Mar 10 21:36:52 PDT 2009

:If implementing caching at this level would it make sense to still
:grab a page of kva at a time and cache forever, looking through our
:hash/tree in an attempt to reuse, then looking at the end of an
:overlapping LRU queue to see if we have one with a refcnt of 0, and
:acquiring more resources if all else fails up to our maximum limit?
:With some modest pre-allocation to avoid any initial sloshing.
:
:With the duration that these allocations are held I am not convinced
:that caching buys us anything unless we cache past the free.
:
:Sam

    Ok, I'll just reiterate some of what we talked about on IRC so
    people reading the thread don't get confused by our skipping around.

    Basically the original SFBUF system caches freed mappings which may
    be reused later.  The lwbuf API loses that ability.  What I do like
    about the lwbuf code is that it dynamically allocates the lwbufs.

    The sfbufs are statically allocated and thus have scaling issues
    (e.g. the example Samuel gave on IRC is when one running many parallel
    sendfile()'s).   I would like to see the SFBUF code use a more
    dynamic model and a sysctl which sets the maximum number of *excess*
    sfbufs instead of the maximum number of sfbufs.

    The other part of this equation is how to optimize for MP operation.
    Initially we should just use the same global index model that we
    use now, though perhaps using the newly available atomic ops to
    control the ref count and cpumask.  As a second step we can figure
    out a better model.

					<dillon at backplane.com>