installkernel POSTFIX directive

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Sun Sep 21 00:35:47 PDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 12:26:23AM +0200, Sascha Wildner wrote:
> Stefan Johannesdal schrieb:
>> These patches add a POSTFIX directive to installkernel. Like this:
>>
>> make installkernel KERNCONF=MYSMPCONF POSTFIX=.smp
>
> What's the use of this except saving a few keystrokes? We have
> DESTKERNNAME for setting the kernel's name and in my opinion that's
> quite enough.

For example, if you want to switch between UP and SMP kernels, you also
have to change UP and SMP modules, because not all SMP modules work
correctly with an UP kernel, or vise versa.  POSTFIX also changes the
name of modules directory to modules.smp.  If you want to keep kernels
with or without APIC option and share the same modules directory, then
DESTKERNNAME is what you want and you don't want to keep two modules
directories.