dhcp from OpenBSD

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun May 25 14:16:42 PDT 2008

    Ok, let me see if I understand the state of affairs, please tell me if
    this is correct:

    * dhclient ported, intended for base system.  Here I am agreeing that
      it would be an unnecessarily complex effort to try to turn it into
      a pkgsrc package.  It should simply be directly ported into our base
      system, which is what Andras has done.

    * dhcpd and dhcrelay exist in pkgsrc and work?  Did I understand that
      correctly?  If so then I agree that they should NOT be placed in the
      base system but should simply be used from pkgsrc.

    * With regards to OpenBSD's new dhcpcd 4.0.0-beta5, my recommendation
      is that we not worry about it at the moment but I'd like to see what
      Andras thinks about it after taking a quick look, since he is
      currently our point man with the dhcp work.

    At the moment I think that the current dhclient work by Matthias and
    Andras should be brought into the base system.  It represents a great
    deal of effort by two individuals and should not go to waste.  If at some
    later point the new privilage-separated code from OpenBSD becomes a
    clear winner we can always port that, but we do not want to get into
    the situation where we string along our porters with ever-new versions
    of dhcp.  That would be a bit unfair :-)

					<dillon at backplane.com>