libevent upgrade from 1.3e to 1.4.5-stable

Samuel J. Greear dragonflybsd at evilcode.net
Fri Jul 4 14:32:30 PDT 2008

"Antonio Huete Jimenez" <tuxillo at quantumachine.net> wrote in message
486bf4f3$0$850$415eb37d at crater_reader.dragonflybsd.org">news:486bf4f3$0$850$415eb37d at crater_reader.dragonflybsd.org...
Hi

Here's a working patch for upgrading libevent. It compiles just fine and
I'm currently using in one of my DFBSD machines.

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~tuxillo/patches/libevent145.diff

Bug fixes can be found in:

http://levent.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/levent/branches/patches-1.4/libevent/ChangeLog?revision=885&view=markup

I don't have the oportunity of checking with bluetooth because I don't
have any device, so if someone has devices and time, please check.

Joerg,
About ABI changes, there are some functions that have been removed, and
some parameters slightly changed:

. ..

Samuel Greear (sjg), I invite you to give your opinion here just like at
IRC ;-)

--
* Please, consider your environment before printing this email
Cheers

Considering the primary rationale for importing libevent (to my knowledge)
is to
support libbluetooth, and given that it is readily available via pkgsrc and
is
known to have an unstable ABI. Wouldn't it make the most sense (short of
rewriting libbluetooth not to use libevent) to either move libevent into a
subdirectory of libbluetooth and link it directly into libbluetooth,
potentially
dropping the manpages. Or, expose it as dflibevent or similar noting
prominently
that it is generally intended for base system use and third party binary
applications should not expect it to maintain a stable ABI? My preference
would
be toward the former more than the latter, at least until some other
consumer of
libevent hits base. Either way it would pretty much eliminate any ABI
breakage
concerns which fly in the face of a preference to upgrade the library upon
every
new release. I would think the ideal would be for third party applications
prefer pkgsrc for something like this. ABI breakage is probably no big deal
at
current but could get bumpy down the road (I'm not sure how this would
factor
into process checkpointing in the case of restoring a libevent-dependant
process
elsewhere, where libevent exposes a different binary interface). In any
case,
maintenance and updates of select and poll support for libevent can likely
be
pulled from the tree.

I can prepare a patch if there is some kind of consensus.

Sam