etc/Makefile cleanup

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Jan 11 13:23:10 PST 2008

:Another question is if 'make upgrade' should only remove leftover files
:from the previous RELEASE or if it should also remove files which are
:added & removed between releases (if the time between addition & removal
:is reasonably long, say, a few months), thus creating additional benefit
:for people who track DEVELOPMENT and upgrade regularly. I think most of
:the files fall into the former category, while few fall into the latter.
:
:My feeling is that we shouldn't require every file that crops up and is
:removed again to be added, but if someone cares, we should also not
:forbid it. It's only a few files anyways.
:
:Sascha

    It needs to remove any file that was ever installed that isn't supposed
    to be there, whether from a release or a development branch.

    If we end up with a thousand files listed in there, that's the way it is.
    I want 'make upgrade' to do everything that needs to be done after a
    'make install' and not have any special cases.