function tracing from rtld

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Sun Jan 6 13:47:58 PST 2008

On Sunday 06 January 2008, walt wrote:
> Aggelos Economopoulos wrote:
> > On Sunday 06 January 2008, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> >> Hey,
> >>
> >> on my quest to get firefox/thunderbird working with libthread_xu,
> >> Aggelos and me developed a nice hook for rtld to trace function calls in
> >> dynamically linked binaries...
>
> Seems like a great idea to me.  I can't tell from reading the code how I
> would use it, though.  Would some userland tool like strace need to be
> modified to use the hook, or what?

You need to load your own _rtld_functrace function. I believe there's a basic
version somewhere on Simon's disk that could serve as an example. Advanced
functionality like decoding the stack data awaits brave implementors.

> > Plus, it opens the door for some cool hacks :)
>
> Wearing your white hat or black hat while hacking?

No hat, I usually code indoors. Oh, wait, that's not what you mean :)

HTH,
Aggelos