DragonFly mail agent (round two)

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Feb 1 12:33:00 PST 2008

    This looks awesome.  Definitely put it into the source tree.

    I don't think we can remove sendmail from the base system in this
    upcoming release, but I'll bet we would be able to remove it (or at
    least make it optional) for the mid-year release.

    DMA needs to support local .forward files to really be considered
    a complete local-delivery-capable agent.  It may be possible to leverage
    existing local delivery agents (without pulling in all of sendmail) for
    that purpose, or as part of your project to write your own local delivery
    agent that DMA can pipe into.

    It also occurs to me that DMA could have integration options for
    postfix and sendmail with a simple dma.conf line, to smooth things
    over during the transition.  So, for example, this would allow all
    local mail to just route through DMA natively and yet not require
    people to translate their sendmail configs/aliases/special-features
    by simply forwarding anything it doesn't understand to a real MTA.

    Finally, note that if DMA doesn't listen to port 25 it will not be
    able to implement reverse authentication, so its remote delivery options
    are fairly limited.   That's mostly covered by using SMARTHOST, though,
    so it may not be a big deal.

    This level of work should definitely be put in the source tree
    (/usr/src/bin, not contrib) and worked on in-place.

					<dillon at backplane.com>