cvs commit: src/lib Makefile src/lib/libpthread Makefile README dummy.c

Aggelos Economopoulos aoiko at cc.ece.ntua.gr
Sun May 6 09:25:40 PDT 2007

On Saturday 05 May 2007 19:19, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :Why? Is it so that a kdump for a single-threaded process will not show
> :redundant data?
> :
> :If so, I'd prefer a command line flag to toggle display of the lwpid on
> : and off (or at least to force display of the lwpid). What you're
> : suggesting would unnecessarily complicate parsing of kdump output.
>
>     If the pid:tid is separated with a colon instead of whitespace it
>     will not be difficult to parse it with or without the tid.

You'd have to actively try in order to make it difficult to parse in any
case :) While this doesn't break cut, it needs a bit of extra attention when
you're using a regex.

[...]
>     An option could be added to force the TID to be displayed regardless,
>     but the default should be to determine TID display automatically.

I think a more future proof solution is to allow the default output to be
arbitrarily fancy, but have an option that produces fixed-form output so you
can trivially parse the data in your favourite scripting language.

Aggelos