Announcing ethernet link state changes via route socket

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 02:18:27 PDT 2007

On 3/16/07, Vlad GALU <dudu at dudu.ro> wrote:
On 3/16/07, Hasso Tepper <hasso at estpak.ee> wrote:
> Announcing link state changes to the userspace via route socket is critical
> to get routing related applications to work correctly - routing protocols
> are most important, but other applications might benefit from it as well.
>
> This code is adapted from OpenBSD and is only the first basic step in path
> to get correct support. Only em(4) is tested because I don't have hardware
> to test others, although bge(4) might get my attention as well in the
> future.
>
> There is one fundamental problem I'd like to get feedback about from
> developers - how to make various kernel stuff react on link state changes?
   There's been an IRC conversation recently regarding that. FreeBSD
defines a EVFILT_NETDEV filter, which can have one of the following
event bits set: NOTE_LINKUP, NOTE_LINKDOWN, NOTE_LINKINV. It's a quite
clean interface. I don't know why OpenBSD chose to do it diferently.
I think hasso's patch is fundamental parts for the knote
implementation you mentioned above.
Best Regards,
sephe
--