PATCH build documentation project with pkgsrc

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Thu Aug 3 21:12:52 PDT 2006

On Thu, August 3, 2006 3:47 pm, Victor Balada Diaz wrote:
> Hi,
> Justin Sherrill and I have created a patch for making the
> documentation project compilable with pkgsrc. Right now it
> does build the handbook and the arch handbook without
> troubles.
>
> You can find the patch here: http://bsdes.net/~victor/dfbsd/
>
> Please, see the readme before!

Part of the strategy here is that instead of coming up with a DragonFly
version of scr2png, we delete the .scr files (screen captures produced by
vidcontrol) and put in .png equivalents.  It seems unnecessary to put
logic into the doc build system to convert these when we can just put in
converted files, as it's not hard to produce .pngs.

If you need to build this, the needed pkgsrc packages appear to be
netbsd-doc, libxslt, docbook-xsl, ghostscript-gnu, netpbm, and jade to
generate HTML ('make').

tex-jadetex is needed to generate the PDF version ('make book.pdf').

It produces the web pages fine, however, creating the PDF produces this
error:

==> TeX pass 1/3
/usr/pkg/bin/tex "&jadetex" ' \nonstopmode\input{book.tex}'
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)
---! /usr/pkg/share/texmf/web2c/jadetex.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
==> TeX pass 2/3
/usr/pkg/bin/tex "&jadetex" ' \nonstopmode\input{book.tex}'
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)
---! /usr/pkg/share/texmf/web2c/jadetex.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
==> TeX pass 3/3
/usr/pkg/bin/tex "&jadetex" ' \nonstopmode\input{book.tex}'
This is TeX, Version 3.141592 (Web2C 7.5.4)
---! /usr/pkg/share/texmf/web2c/jadetex.fmt was written by pdfetex
(Fatal format file error; I'm stymied)
*** Error code 1 (ignored)
/usr/pkg/bin/dvips  -o book.ps book.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.95a Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
(www.radicaleye.com)
/usr/pkg/bin/dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /home/justin/doc/en/books/handbook.

I don't know the immediate cause; there may be a package missing that's
needed, or something else.  I don't think the .scr file removal could
cause this.  I'll test more tomorrow.  If anyone else wants to take a
crack at it, please do.