make upgrade and DESTDIR (Re: ln -> ${LN} conversion)

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Fri Jul 8 02:20:03 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 10:23:27AM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> >When you're installing from an older system(-RELEASE, for example)
> >using DESTDIR, `make upgrade' fails because it uses older <sys.mk> in
> >the installing system, rather than from the source tree or from
> >$DESTDIR/share/mk.  If I specify the share/mk in the source tree using
> >MAKEFLAGS, it seems to work fine.
>
> shouldn't make upgrade be run *after* installworld? (ah, the comment
> also states "post-installworld"). not sure if we should introduce a
> hack then.

Hmm.  Is `make upgrade' run before or after installworld in the following
example:
  # cd /usr/src
  # cvs update -dP
  # make buildworld
  # export DESTDIR=/alt
  # make installworld && make upgrade

In my opinion `make upgrade' is applied to the post-installworld
world under /alt, so there shouldn't be a problem.