sudo in the base system

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 14 02:58:28 PST 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Sudo is certainly popular enough to justify putting it in base, but I
    have a big philosophical problem with the whole concept since its
    purpose in life is basically to rip a hole in UNIX's user
    compartmentalization.  It gives me nightmares of big gaping security
    holes in any system where it is installed.
Hmm, didn't thought on that one, although sudo needs to be configured to
 do anything useful it is indeed a potential security risk to include
it in the base because of newcomers big chance of misconfiguring it.

It is certainly justified to not include it in the base for this reason,
this enhances the chance for a newcomer to first read about and
understand the basic functionality of the system before taking your
resort to sudo.

--
mph