netcat or ttcp in base?

David Rhodus sdrhodus at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 07:57:10 PST 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 16:43:54 +0100, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
> there's a discussion on hackers at xxxxxxxxxxx about
> importing OpenBSD's netcat into FreeBSD. I consider
> it a very useful and powerful tool, small enough
> to be part of our base system as well. An alternative
> candidate Andreas Hauser suggested was ttcp, which
> offers a similiar feature set.
>
> Joerg

When you say netcat, do you mean the 'nc' program that you could also
use for connecting to ports, kinda acting like a telnet client ?

As for ttcp I don't see a reason that is needs to be in the tree.  Its
a trivial compile and is only needed when doing networking testing.
Another problem I have is that I've recently have done some testing
and question the validity of the results ttcp gives.

--
                                            -David
                                            Steven David Rhodus