sudo in the base system

Raphael Marmier raphael at marmier.net
Mon Feb 14 07:14:57 PST 2005

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Sudo is certainly popular enough to justify putting it in base, but I
    have a big philosophical problem with the whole concept since its
    purpose in life is basically to rip a hole in UNIX's user
    compartmentalization.  It gives me nightmares of big gaping security
    holes in any system where it is installed.
If sudo is popular (and often needed to avoid spreading the root
password), it will end up being installed wether it is a port or not.

For the sake of security, I would rather have sudo included with a
minimal but watertight configuration done by a pro, rather than having
to install a sudo port that I will maybe misconfigure.

Thus security shouldn't be a factor: sudo MUST come with a secure
default configuration in _both_ cases.

best regards

Raphael