PATCH (revised) for gcc34 (for building ports)

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Fri Apr 15 15:58:21 PDT 2005

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I was kinda hoping to keep gcc3 freebsd-clean.  Is there any way to
>     do this in the ports build make files instead of in gcc3?

Well, I didn't think for a moment that anyone would actually commit my
patch ;o)  I just posted it for people like me to play with.  This
patch does *not* solve any real problems, and I'm the first to say so.

Real solutions have already been bike-shedded at some length, and the
problem I see is that none of those real solutions are likely to surface
in the next few months.

But it would be nice to start using gcc34 because (just as one trivial
example) mozilla-devel will not compile with gcc2 any longer (on any
operating system).  I suspect that other examples will begin to surface
before long.  OpenOffice may be another, come to think of it.